The New Shed
- After 6 Years at Marcia Street, the Coffs Harbour Community Men's Shed was granted a Licence for land at 128a Howard Street which was signed on 26th February 2016.
- Two key grants funded the new Shed slab which was poured in April 2016,:a NSW Government Community Building Partnership Grant of $67,500 awarded in 2011, and a Coffs Harbour City Council 2015/16 Community Capital Infrastructure Grant of $67,500 awarded in April 2016.
- The new Shed was erected in January 2017 and works then commenced on the internal fit-out of the Shed.
- By May 2017 given that internal fit-out had progressed and the Shed committee did not wish to extend the expensive lease on Marcia Street, the process of moving from Marcia Street into the new Shed.
- On 28th June 2017 Coffs Harbour City Council awarded a grant of $37,303 under the 2017/18 Community Capital Infrastructure Grants Program which enabled works to commence on the Mezzanine floor within the new Shed.
- On 11th December 2018 a Building Certificate was issued by Coffs Harbour City Council and thus planning could commence for the official opening which occurred on 3rd May 2019.
Items for sales made and crafted by shed members, A variety of items ranging from special orders , ranging from kids toys , games board, jewellery boxes, bird feeders and nesting boxes, possum boxes, planter boxes, customised wood, engraving to your design and CNC.
Meeting - Training & Craft Rooms
We have two main rooms on the mezzanine floor dedicated for the band, committee meetings, training, crafts and model making.
Also computer and IT training.
The mezzanine is serviced by an elevator for disabled access and can accommodate an electric wheel chair. .
Woodwork and Metal Fabrication Areas
We have an extensive woodworking and metal work area consisting of:
A large variety of specialised machinery and equipment including drop, panel, band and table saws, thicknessers, lathes, router table, sanders, planer/jointer.
In the metal workshop there are welders, lathe milling machine, metal cut-off saw, guillotine, pan brake and other specialised tools.
The shed also has a CNC Router and Laser engraving machine.
Spray Paint Booth
The custom built spray painting booth is equipped with full ventilation and a lighting systems. It is suitable for enamel acrylic and lacquer applications and offering a full range of paints in storage.
Safe Use of Equipment and Machinery
All members must be inducted in the safe use of equipment and machinery before they can operate them.
OMTech Laser Engraver
60 watt Co2 laser engraver/ cutter will cut up to 6 mm plywood and engrave various materials such as acrylic, wood, leather and most organic materials.
Ongoing shed improvements
We are currently in the process of increasing our storage area, mainly for timber storage and timber slabs and bulky product storage. A portable saw mill has been installed at the rear of the building for cutting logs.
We have a strategic plan in place (revised every 3 years) and have recently upgraded to a larger Laser Engraver and have purchased a portable metal bandsaw.
The woodworking lathes have been fitted with automatic dust extraction. We are continually looking to upgrade equipment and machinery.
Officially open - May 3 2019
Mayor Denise Knight and Ken Ryan
officially open the Howards Street Men's Shed
in front of guests and members
on May 3rd 2019